Thursday, November 12, 2009

5 New People

I enjoyed this challenge to reach out to people I might not normally talk to. I never really thought about it, but a lot of the time when I’m on my way to class listening to my Ipod or sitting in a big lecture I’m in my own little world and not really paying attention to what’s going on around me. This doesn’t usually bother me because I figure I’m not going to form deep, lasting relationships with people I probably won’t see again but it was actually nice just to chat with people, learn about them, and see what we did or didn’t have in common. The first person I talked to was sitting next to me in my big history lecture. We just chatted about the class and where we were from and it turned out that her Dad was an alumnus of the college my Dad just started working for, The Citadel in South Carolina. I also talked to a guy in my history discussion while we were waiting outside for class. He was a transfer student from American University and since he doesn’t have a car, he said he bikes for an hour every morning to get to class, which astounded me. I also chatted with a guy in my history class who lives off campus as well. He told me about recently wrecking his car and how he often gets pulled over because he speeds way too much. I told him that I’ve never been pulled over for speeding because my car is so old it won’t go fast enough. The speedometer numbers don’t even go past 85. The fifth person I talked to was a girl in my lecture and we talked about the midterm we had coming up in that class and discussed our study habits for it and what we thought it might cover. This challenge made me realize how much technology has changed society and limited our interactions with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment