Thursday, November 12, 2009

Twitter Blog

While I watched the first video of her blog, I felt a variety of emotions including confusion, awe, uncertainty and fear. The combination of the exciting music and constant stream of shocking information caused me to get caught up in the video and instead of processing each bit of information as it was presented, the facts combined together (I actually just realized that I've already forgotten nearly all the facts in the video because they were all thrown out so quickly and in succession) to make me feel overwhelmed by the rapid advancement of technology in our world. However, after I finished watching the video I began to think about where these facts came from and if they were taken out of context. The information in the video is certainly disturbing in itself, but it honestly does not worry me all that much. Our world and society may be changing faster than it ever has before, but it doesn't really directly affect me and my life. Of course the technological aspect of it has changed--whenever I need to know a piece of information, the first thing I do is Google it, and my friends and I text message all the time. But despite the rapid introduction of new technology, people's day to day lives, relationships, and emotions in general remain the same. The inherent characteristics that make us human are no different than they were thousands of years ago despite the fact that we use Microsoft word instead of stone tablets to record information. I guess in my mind, there's no use worrying about the facts brought up in the video because society is going to naturally progress regardless--there's nothing we can do about it. Humans are always going to try to advance our race and create a better world for ourselves.
I was more concerned with the second video. People's ideas of beauty and what we should look like is being totally distorted by the media. Advertisers know that the better the models they are using for their products look, the more likely it is people will buy it because they want to achieve this look that is, in reality, impossible in a real person. I applaud Dove's efforts to return to the idea of real beauty. People are not perfect and trying to become so will only drive us crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment